Gutter Care Pro provides gutter cleaning services for Cape Cod and Southern Massachusetts. We are dedicated to helping you understand the importance of keeping rain water controlled around your home. Lack of proper maintenance prohibits your gutters from performing the only duty they have, and that is to direct rain water safely away from your home. Always remember, "If you address the cause, you will never have to deal with the symptom".
Clogged Gutters Result in Costly Home Repairs
If you think a few leaves and twigs in your rain gutters are harmless,
think again. Clean gutters are the single
most important key to avoiding major
and expensive home repairs.
Gutters perform one duty: controlling the water around your home. If debris
keeps them from free - flowing, costly repairs are sure to follow. Here
is a very real list of possible
issues that occur when gutters get clogged:
- LEAKING BASEMENTS - Clogged gutters are the number one cause
of basement water problems. Roof water overflows and accumulates around
the foundation. If this happens, basement leaks may be moments away.
- CRACKED FOUNDATIONS - Excess water against the foundation wall can weaken the footing and lead to cracks. This is particularly true in colder months when built - up water at the foundation freezes and causes a condition known as "frost-heave" which can cause severe cracks to foundation walls. $$$
- ROTTEN WOOD - Water backing up from clogged gutters will cause moisture damage to the wood fascia around the house. The rotted area will worsen quickly to soffit and rafter tail damage if no action is taken. $$ - $$$
- LEAKING ROOFS - In winter, ice-dams can form on top of clogged gutters, then snow builds up across the top of the gutter and freezes. During the next thaw or by rising internal heat, water running off the roof is blocked by the frozen gutters and backs up into the house. This can lead to major wall and ceiling damage. $$$
- SLIPPERY SIDEWALKS - Overflowing gutters can deposit water on walks and driveways where it can become a slipping hazard and cause injury. Avoid this problem by keeping gutters clean and the spouts extended away from traffic areas. $$$
- DRIVEWAYS - Misdirected and clogged gutter spouts often cause driveways and walks to sag and crack. $$
- WASHED - OUT LANDSCAPING - Any newly installed plants, grass or trees can be harmed by excessive water. Overflowing gutters can cause severe erosion and put an early end to young plantings. $
- WOOD DESTROYING INSECTS - Bugs love moisture. Keeping the soil dry around the foundation perimeter can force destructive bugs to go elsewhere for a tasty snack of a dampened two-by-four. $$
If you think your gutters need a good gutter cleaning tune-up, here are some important tips to follow:
- SAFETY FIRST! - If you are not comfortable with heights or do not use tall ladders regularly, this is not a job for you. Remember, you cannot turn back the clock if you are injured. Consider hiring a professional for this task. If you do decide to do the job yourself, watch out for hidden hazards such as electrical lines and bee's nests.
- CLEANING GUTTERS - Using a ladder with a stabilizer attachment, work gloves and a hose, clean the gutters beginning at one end and working toward the other end. Always work from the gutter and not the roof, where you could fall off and be seriously injured. If you find any loose gutter sections, tighten them up as you go along. It will help to have a supply of brackets to correct this problem.
- SPRAY SPOUTS - When you get to the end of the gutter where the spout is, insert the hose end into the spout to flush it out. If the spout is clogged, water will back up and cause problems. Clearing clogged spouts can be a chore. Try removing the debris from both ends and flushing the rest with a hose. If this doesn't work you will need to disassemble the spout, clean, and reassemble. Once the spouts are clear, make sure the discharge end is extended 4 - 6 feet away from the home to avoid future problems.
- INSTALL GUTTER GUARDS -
Once the gutter system is cleaned and properly adjusted, consider installing
gutter guards to avoid a repeat performance in the future. There are
many types of guards available. Screens can be effective in the short
run but will eventually allow debris through. Clogs will reoccur and
be even more difficult to clean since the screens will need to be removed
Legend: $ Fairly inexpensive
$$ Expensive $$$